Quinoa is an amazing seed that is used as a grain and has so much versatility and benefits to eating it. Here are just a few listed by Forbes.
- It’s rich in protein and contains all nine amino acids.
- Contains almost twice as much fiber as other grains.
- Contains iron- it keeps our red blood cells healthy, and carries oxygen to our cells.
- Contains Lysine- essential for growth and repair.
- Rich in magnesium- helps with healthy bones and teeth, body temperature regulation, and energy production.
- High in Riboflavin (B2)- helps create proper energy production in cells.
- Contains high content of manganese. – Helps protect red blood cells from free radicals.
Being a vegan, this is a plus, but for others that aren’t vegan it has its benefits for you as well. So in my mind, this is a WIN/WIN grain. The recipe I decided to make was a simple quinoa parfait. It is sweet and yummy and can be made two ways and served two ways.
- Made with vegan yogurt and served cold.
- Made with cooked apples and served warm.
Or if you feel adventurous, you can mix the two and have an amazing party in your mouth.
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 cups water
- Pinch salt
- 4 apples
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp Agave
- 1/4 cup water
- 10 oz Vegan yogurt
Cold Quinoa Parfait
- Cook quinoa and place in refrigerator for an at least an hour to cool.
- Cut, core, and peel apples. Slice them in chunks and place in pot with 1/4 cup of water. Add agave and cinnamon. Cook apples until they are chunky applesauce. Place in refrigerator for at least an hour to cool.
- Spoon yogurt at the bottom of cup, layer with cooled quinoa, Next layer cooled cooked apples, quinoa, yogurt, quinoa, and last top with apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Warm Quinoa Parfait
- Cook quinoa 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water with a pinch of salt.
- Cut, core, and peel apples. Slice them in chunks and place in pot with 1/4 cup of water. Add agave and cinnamon. Cook apples until they are chunky applesauce.
- Spoon apples at the bottom of cup, layer with cooked quinoa, Next layer cooked apples, quinoa, apples, quinoa, and last top with apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon.