My friend, suggested that I give it a try and I was up to the challenge. I thought it was going to be harder than it was. I didn’t have all the ingredients and some of the original ingridents I couldn’t have due to my diet restrictions. So here is the altered recipe of kickin chicken and dumpling soup.
Kickin' Chicken and Dumplings
- pressure cooker
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter, dairy free I used Country Crock plant based
- 2 tsp creole seasoning by Casa de Sante
- 1 tbsp garlic infused oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp parsley, dried
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 lbs uncooked skinless chicken breast frozen is okay
- 3/4 cup gluten free flour One to One Bob's Red Mill
- 3 cups almond milk, unsweetened You can use any unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 cups green beans
- 1 cup gluten free flour One to One- Bob's Red Mill
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp creole seasoning Casa de Sante
- 2 lrg eggs
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add ingredients into Instant Pot: Add water, butter, creole seasoning, garlic infused oil, kosher salt, parsley, basil, pepper and chicken to the Instant Pot. (No need to thaw chicken if it is frozen.)
- Pressure cook: Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for thawed chicken or 15 minutes for frozen chicken on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Cut up chicken: Use tongs to get the chicken out. (My chicken was so soft it kept falling out of the tongs). Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces or shred it and add it back into the pot (I shredded mine).
- Add in slurry: Warm up the 3 cups of milk. I warmed mine in a large saucepan and once it began to bubble, I removed it from the heat and whisked in the 3/4 cup of flour into the milk, a tablespoon at a time. It should be smooth, no lumps.
- Thicken the soup: Turn the Instant Pot to the saute mode and stir in the milk/flour mixture. Whisk it in. The soup will thicken in a few minutes.
- Make the dumplings: Combine gluten free and cassava flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, creole seasoning, beaten eggs and 1 cup milk in a mixing bowl. Use hands to combine well.
- Cook the dumplings: Drop the dumplings mixture a tablespoon at a time into the pot. I used a 1 Tbsp cookie scooper to drop the dumplings into the pot. The simmering liquid will cook the dumplings in just a few minutes.
- Add in veggies: Once the soup has thickened add in the frozen green beans (or frozen veggies of choice). The simmering liquid will cook the veggies in just a couple of minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Ladle the chicken and dumplings into bowls and enjoy!