As I sit and listen to the rain fall on my window, it reminds me of how thankful I am for warm foods that make me happy in my cozy home. When I was a child I loved cream of broccoli soup. It was smooth, creamy, and warm on my tummy. Now that I am grown, I still love smooth, creamy, and warm, but maybe with a little more reserve on how much I enjoy them. Creamy soups are considered a decadent entree in this house. We try to do our best to eat and live healthy, but allow ourselves to enjoy richer foods from time to time.
On this particular night, my kids were super hungry and I needed to find a recipe that was quick and tasty. So naturally, I turned to The Pioneer Woman’s website for just the right soup. You can find the original recipe here. I changed it to fit a vegan and gluten-free diet. Please note: THIS IS NOT a LOW-FODMAP recipe. If you follow a low fodmap plan, unfortunately, this is not a good recipe for you. If this recipe fits in your dietary guideline, be sure to try it out! It promises a rich, creamy, broccoli flavor that is sure to bring warm and comfort your way.
Cream of Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- 2 Tbs Earth Balance Butter
- 2 Tbs Refined Coconut Oil
- 6 Green Onions, tops only
- 1/4 cup White Rice Flour
- 4 cups Oatly Oat Drink (WHOLE MILK) Dark Blue Container
- 2 cups Oatly Oat Drink, or any other non-dairy milk Light Blue Container
- 2 pkg Steamable Broccoli Steam according to package
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 3 cups Vegan Cheese I use Good Planet Cheddar shreds
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Melt butter and oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add rice flour, forming a roux. This is the base of your soup and acts also as a thickener. Let cook for one minute stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Slowly pour the Oat Whole Milk, stir and then add other non-dairy milk of choice, stir.
- Add, green onion tops, nutmeg, steamed broccoli and stir until mixed well.
- Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Bring soup up to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 15 mintues or until broccoli is soft.
- Add vegan cheese to the soup and stir. Most vegan cheeses will not melt easily.
- Use an immersion blender or scoop out soup and put into blender to puree soup into rich creamy goodness.
- Return to pot, taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Serve with a side of bread rolls or in a soup bowl and topped with a little extra cheese.