Chocolate chip cookies are one of the most famous cookies out there. That perfect blend of soft doughy goodness with rich melted chocolate sends the taste buds craving more.
Because I was making the gooey goodness, I wanted to see where the cookie actually originated from.
The creator was Ruth Wakefield. According to Nestle Toll House Story:
“One day, while preparing a batch of Butter Drop Do cookies, a favorite recipe dating back to Colonial days, Ruth cut a bar of our NESTLÉ® Semi-Sweet Chocolate into tiny bits and added them to her dough, expecting them to melt. Instead, the chocolate held its shape and softened to a delicately creamy texture.”
I love when recipes come together by accident and develop into an American favorite!
Since my children have a gluten and dairy restriction I decided to alter this recipe to fit their dietary needs. They made this recipe completely on their own. The only guidance I gave them was with reading the package. Even though it took them 30 minutes to prepare, they had the best time measuring and mixing.
These cookies turned out so well. I am so proud of them and look forward to helping them develop a life of cooking and baking gluten free and vegan.
Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF, V)
- 2 1/4 cups Namaste Foods Gluten Free Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan butter Earth Balance.
- 3/4 cup vegan sugar Wholesome Sweeteners, organic
- 3/4 cup vegan brown sugar, packed Wholesome Sweeteners Light Brown Sugar, organic
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1- 6 oz container SO Delicious Coconut Vanilla Yogurt
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In standing mixer, mix butter, sugar, and brown sugar together until the its thoroughly incorporated.
- Add vanilla an yogurt, a little at a time.
- On a low setting, slowly add flour mixture. Mix until all is smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop a tablespoon of batter and place on ungreased cookie sheet or one covered with parchment paper. Make sure to space your cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes.