My kids love macaroni and cheese, but the homemade version. They actually have never had the boxed version due to their gluten intolerance and dairy sensitivities, which I am perfectly fine with. I found rice stick noodles, in the Asian section of the grocery story, that work really great for this recipe. You can choose to use these noodles or any noodles you like. Through the years, I have tested many noodles, here are just a few gluten free ones for a quick review:
- Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta- Not a fan. This pasta has a specific cooking method. It is made of brown rice and gets super hard when put in the fridge. When I re-heat it on stove it crumbles.
- Ancient Harvest Quinoa Pasta- This pasta wasn’t bad but not what I expected. It is made with corn and quinoa flour, not just quinoa. Made a unique taste. It was hard when cool.
- Heartland Gluten Free Pasta- Corn based, processed in a facility the manufactures wheat products, easy to cook but if overcooked, starts to fall apart.
- Barilla Gluten Free Pasta- Best tasting of the pastas. Corn and rice flour pasta, cooks just like regular pasta. It still tends to get hard when cooled.
- Tolerant Foods Red Lentil Pasta- Unique lentil taste, cooks like regular pasta, but if overcooked it will turn mushy.
- Modern Table Red Lentil Pasta- Unique lentil taste, texture is fair. It tends to get more mushy the longer you let it sit in a sauce. It also breaks apart very easily if left to sit in sauce for awhile.
I am sure there are many others out there, but these were my perceptions of what I try. I now use rice stick noodles. They hold sauce well and don’t get hard in the refrigerator. There is not much taste to these noodles so it should be paired with a sauce. If eaten by themselves, they taste like rice, obviously since they are made of rice and water. The best part about these noodles is that they are really cheap. I buy a whole package for about $1.50.
This recipe I am sharing with you has become a favorite of ours. It is flavorful as it is paired with the coconut cheese recipe found here
. Once the cheese is made, cheesy noodles and peas can be made within minutes and makes for a tasty meal.