It is so exciting when a recipe works out. I have seen a recipe for zucchini meatballs floating around Pinterest, but it wasn’t gluten free or vegan. There were a few others things I had to adjust to it too. So, with all the modifications this recipe became my own. If you are looking for a vegetarian recipe you can head over here and check that one out. Otherwise, this one is FABULOUS!
For those that don’t like zucchini, don’t worry! You don’t even taste it and you still get in your veggies, even my kids approved. The bread and the oats give a nice consistency to these meatballs.
The sauce that is accompanied is full of flavor and worked well with the meatballs. We then put them on top of gluten free bread and it was so good. I would have eaten more but it was gone in no time at all.
Note: Double the recipe if you have more than 4 people or want extras.
Zucchini meatballs in tomato sauce and topped with chopped green olives.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 large zucchini grated
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- ground fresh pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground basil
- 1 Flax Egg golden flax was used
- 1/2 cup Gluten free Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup quick gluten free oats see notes for how to make.
- 1/4 cup Daiya cheddar cheese grated or pre-shredded
- 4 slices gluten free bread
- 24 oz canned tomato sauce organic
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp powdered mustard
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried sage
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbs Maple syrup
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place coconut oil in large pan and add zucchini with all seasonings. Let most of the water cook out of the zucchini.
- In a large bowl combine breadcrumbs, oats, flax egg, and cheese. Add zucchini. Mix with your hands to make sure everything is well incorporated. This is a good time to taste it to see if you need any more salt or pepper.
- Form into small meatballs and place onto the parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and bake for another 10 minutes. (If you are in a rush, you can leave them in for 20 minutes, but they will only be brown on one side. )
- Place all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until mixed well.