There are times in life where we really want comfort food. That warm creamy and starchy taste that gives you a happy feeling inside. I tend to avoid making a ton of these fabulous meals due to their ability to put me into a food coma. However, I have been known to consume them on occasion.
The recipe I came up with is vegan tempeh stroganoff. I cooked up some gluten free pasta to put the stoganoff on and added a side of green peas. A salad would be a great option as well.
This recipe is creamy with a slightly nutty/meaty taste from the tempeh and sauce. Combined with the pasta, it creates the perfect comfort food for that occasion.
Vegan Tempeh Stroganoff
- 4 cups Fusilli Gluten Free (opt)
- 1 Tbs vegan butter Earth Balance (I used soy free)
- 1 pkg. tempeh
- 1/2 onion yellow
- 1/2 tsp. season salt
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 container Tofutti sour cream
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbs. Nutritional Yeast
- In a large pot, cook pasta for 8-10 minutes or until desired texture. Drain and set aside.
- Break tempeh up into thirds and soak in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. (Do this while pasta is cooking.)
- In a large skillet melt butter and saute onion over medium heat until they are transparent in color.
- Add tempeh and season salt and cook for 2 mintues or until tempeh is brown.
- Next, add vegetable broth, start with 2 tablespoons. Add spinach and stir into the tempeh mixture. Place lid on Skillet/pan and keep stiring occasionally until the spinach is fully reduced.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add the sour cream, mustard, garlic powder and nutritional yeast. Mix well.
- If the sauce is still too thick, start adding vegetable broth 2 tablespoons at a time until you reach the desired consistency of the stroganoff.
- Serve over pasta with a side salad or other choice of vegetable.
I made this for New Years Day lunch. I really like this recipe. Most I have found called for mushrooms and I don’t like them, so this was perfect for me. I used brown rice pasta (seems to agree with me) and I like that I didn’t have to go to the store with a long list of ingredients to buy. My carnivore sons and husband even said they liked it. I definitely will be making this often. Thank you for sharing and Happy New Year!
Thank you for your review. I am so happy you all found it tasty. I appreciate it.