I have made all kinds of vegan potato salads and had no success with my kids liking it. It either had to much chunky stuff in it or it was too crunchy. My girls wanted tofu this evening so I was trying to think of a creative way to make it. I decided to try a potato salad to meet their requirements. And, they loved it. They wanted to eat the whole bowl.
As many of you already know, tofu takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked in or with. I wanted to make sure it kept a savory flavor so I browned it in a non-stick pan without oil and without butter. I simply used the water it contained to cook it. I crumbled it and placed it in the pan with the spices I wanted to use to flavor it. Please feel free to experiment with this recipe to fit the needs of those you are cooking for.
Vegan Potato Salad
- 1 pkg tofu extra firm
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 white potatoes medium, cooked
- 3-4 Tbs vegan mayo I used Just Mayo
- 1 tsp mustard organic, optional
- sea salt to desired taste
- 1 drop dill essential oil (optional) See note
- Drain tofu from package, but don't press water out. Crumble extra firm tofu in a large pan. Add seasonings, except essential oil (if you are using this.)
- Let marinate for at least 30 seconds. Continue to cook on medium high to cook out water and until it is lightly brown. Take off burner and set aside.
- Take chop cooked potatoes into chunks and put into a large mixing bowl. Add tofu, mayo, and mustard and mix until incorporated. Be sure to mix slowly, you don't want mashed potatoes.
- Add 1 drop of dill therapeutic grade essential oil. Be sure to mix well. * See notes.
- Serve warm or put into fridge for an hour to cool.