Have you ever wished that you had a great recipe for vegan cheese? Look no further! Parmesan cheese is a hard one to find in vegan form and fresh. I found it! This recipe was made from Jane’s Healthy Kitchen . I was very impressed with the quality and taste of this cheese and even shreds like fresh parmesan. You do need to keep it in the freezer until it is time to use it, but worth it. It does have the salty taste like dairy parmesan and has a little bite of tang to it, making it more of a pungent cheese.
I thought this this recipe would have taken a long time, but it really didn’t. I was done in about 5-10 minutes and I left the cheese in the freezer over night and it was ready to use in my meals the next day. I also enjoy that it lasts for a long time. The base is primarily coconut but you don’t taste any coconut in it at all. I used coconut butter and an organic refined coconut oil. Because of the oil, this is a high fat item if eaten in large quantities, however, I have not used more than a teaspoon or two at a time, unless it went into a recipe for a larger amount of people. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I really do. This will be my go to for parmesan cheese from now until I come across another one to add to my favs list.
Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Lemon Juice I use Santa Cruz organic lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut butter Softened
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 tsp. Vitamin-C Crystals I found mine at whole foods
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt or Pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted, refined (no coconut taste)
- In a blender or food processor add lemon juice, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, Vitamin-C crystals and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Add the coconut oil last and blend again until creamy smooth. If it is too thick, add a little of lemon juice to get it to a slightly thinner consistency. You many have to use a spatula to push it down from the sides.
- Line a freezer safe container with parchment paper and pour mixture into container and freeze until solid.