I love anything to give pasta some life. I found this recipe for Tempeh Italian Meatballsand thought I would give it a try. These meatballs are vegan but I made mine gluten free too. I do have to give warning though for those who are gluten free, please check the kind of tempeh you buy. There are different kinds and I accidentally bought one with barley in it. Please read the labels. These are the best meatballs I have ever tasted that were gluten free and vegan. They have a meaty texture and spectacular flavor. Please note that the recipe I made is slightly different than the one linked. If you are not wanting gluten free, please follow the linked recipe. I hope you enjoy as this is a huge favorite among my 5 year olds and husband.
- 1 pkg. organic tempeh simmered in water for 10 mins, cooled and grated.
- 1/4 cup instant Gluten Free oats I put regular rolled oats in food processor and pulsed a few times.
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp sage ground
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tbs Tamari sauce organic, gluten free
- 2 Tbs. A1 Sauce/BBQ Sauce make sure it's gluten free.
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil organic
- Mix cooled and grated tempeh in a large bowl with oatmeal, nutritional yeast, gluten, onion, garlic, and spices.
- Add sauces and mush/mix together with your fingers. Add a splash of water if needed.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over med-lo heat. Shape tempeh mixture into 36 small balls.
- Fry in oil for 15 mins, turning regularly, until nicely browned on all sides.
- Although the meatballs can be served right away, they are even better when simmered in a tomato sauce for an 30 minutes or so. Serve with pasta or meatball sandwich.