When our family desires pizza for a special treat, I like to make my own pizza sauce. Too many of the sauces out there contain onions and garlic, which I have a sensitivity to, and not to forget the preservatives and sugar.
This sauce is super cheap and organic. You can freeze the leftovers for a later use too.
The sauce was thick and held up well on a pizza crust. Tasted similar to spaghetti sauce, but the thicker.
- 1 28oz organic crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar Organic
- 1 tsp. dried basil Organic
- 1 tsp. dried oregano Organic
- 1/2 tsp. finely ground pepper Organic
- Salt to taste
- Put all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to slight boil. Take off heat and spoon onto pizza crust.
Can anything be used in place of the vinegar? I’m trying to stay away from as much of that as I can. Otherwise is sounds delish.
You can use about a tsp of lemon juice, which might give a similar acidic taste. It will have more of a lemon flavor, if you are alright with that.