When it is cold outside, I want to be warm inside. Some of my favorite warming things I enjoy are: cozy blankets, fuzzy socks, hot tea, my dog, and soup. Now if I have all of those at once, I am in heaven. Since January is National Soup Month, I am contributing this amazing soup to the list of yumminess. This is one that I shared with one of my cooking classes that I co-taught with Elizabeth Fresse. And this was adapted from Gimme some Oven’s recipe. I changed it to fit the dietary needs of my family.
Italian Spinach Tomato Soup
- 2 Tbs olive oil organic
- 1 cup carrots organic, diced
- 1 cup celery stalks chop entire stalk, including leaves
- 6 cups vegan chicken stock
- 1 14 oz tomatoes organic, canned crushed or diced
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free orzo or pasta
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 4 cups baby spinach organic
- sea salt
- In large soup pot put olive oil, and diced celery and carrots. Saute for about 3-4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add vegan chicken stock or cubes. (If adding bouillon cubes, saute with veggies and then add water.)
- Add in the canned crushed or diced tomatoes, pasta and spices to the rest of the soup. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for about 10-12 minutes, or until pasta is cooked.
- Mix spinach in the last 2 minutes of cooking soup. Let spinach wilt. Enjoy.