I am really excited to get this recipe out to you all. I was looking for a recipe that would be great for black-eyed peas for our New Year’s get together and found this one from veganrunnereats.com. However, I decided to change it a bit to fit my own dietary needs and to make it my own. So if you would like the original, you are welcome to visit her website, but here is the one that is the one I created. When I served it to my friends, they were so amazed at how great these tasted. I even got a “these are the best black-eyed peas I have ever had.” Well now, if that is the result I get, I will be making these every year. I wanted to share this recipe with you so that you can have that experience too. Have a great and fabulous New Year.
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- pressure cooker
- 3 cups dried black eyed peas rinsed
- 1 cup spring onions green parts only
- 1 cup mini sweet peppers chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 can RoTel chilies and tomatoes
- 1.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 6 cups water or chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs garlic infused olive oil
- Press the sauté button of your instant pot.
- Add oil, onions, sweet peppers, and celery, saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Add RoTel, spices, rinsed black eyed peas and broth (or water).
- Press Cancel, place lid on instant pot and put the settings on Manual for 20 minutes and when it beeps let it go another 10 minutes on natural release, then release the rest of the pressure by opening the pressure valve.
- Open lid carefully. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve as a side or as the main dish. Add a bit of sour cream and cilantro to garnish if you would like.