I am absolutely proud of my girls in the kitchen and Olivia showed she has amazing skills in creating desserts at the age of 5. Olivia decided she wanted to create her own dessert. This is her “sweet meatball” creation that I am completely amazed that she came up with on her own. I did very little coaching. It took us 4 hours to complete, due to Olivia doing everything from slicing, baking, braising, rolling, all on her own (some help from Juliana.)
She did come up with all the ingredients and what would go where. We did purchase the gluten free brownie mix for the “sweet meatballs,” but that would have been another challenge for a 5 year old to make her own gluten free brownie mix. I let her buy the mix on that.
So without further delay, I want to present to you Olivia’s Chocolate Banana Truffle and Coconut Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
Chocolate Banana Truffle and Coconut Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Coconut Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 2 cans coconut milk refrigerated for at least 4 hours.
- 3 bananas frozen
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup organic maple syrup
- 1 med carton organic strawberries Sliced, except the ones used for garnish
- 6-8 bananas Sliced, one banana per person served
- 1-2 Tbs Light Agave Syrup
Chocolate Banana Truffles
- 1 box Gluten free brownie mix
- 1/2 bag Enjoy Vegan Chocolate Chips
- 1 Banana mashed and ripe
Coconut Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- First place the coconut milk solid into a food processor or blender with frozen bananas, vanilla bean seeds, and maple syrup. Blend until thick and creamy.
- Pour ice cream into a freezable container and allow to freeze for at least 4 hours.
Chocolate Banana Truffles.
- Bake Gluten Free brownies as directed on the box, just replace the eggs with one mashed banana. They will come out more gooey, so you may want to bake them about 5-10 minutes longer.
- As the brownies are baking, in a small pot, melt the vegan chocolate chips. You must stir them constantly otherwise they will burn. You can also melt them using a microwave bowl and stirring them every 30 seconds. When chocolate is completely melted, set aside.
- Once brownies are cool, take a "meatball" scoop and roll brownies into small truffle size balls. (Olivia used the medium sized scoop from Pampered Chef.)
- Once all brownie balls are made, place one brownie ball in melted chocolate and make sure it is completely covered before removing from pot. Remove truffle with a fork to allow excess chocolate to fall from the fork. Place on tray with parchment paper and put in fridge to harden. (Allow 20-30 minutes.)
- To braise your bananas, place 1 sliced banana per person into a large pan. Pour 1-2 Tbs. of agave syrup into the pan and braise the bananas. They will be lightly brown in color. If you put too much agave in, the bananas will disintegrate or turn to mush. Take out and place on plate.
- When your bananas are done, this is the time to plate your dessert. Bananas- place braised bananas on bottom of plate and a scoop of ice cream on top. Place one truffle on top with some braised bananas to finish. Serve immediately. The warm bananas will start to melt the ice cream. Strawberries- place two thin layers of strawberries on bottom, a scoop of ice cream on top with a truffle. Finish with a strawberry crown garnish.
This was absolutely adorable!!!!